When a marriage breaks down, divorce is not the only option. Many couples feel they aren’t ready for divorce, whilst others are unable to proceed with one for religious reasons. Instead, they can choose separation.

If you and your spouse have opted to go down the route of separation, you may decide not to take any official action. If one partner moves out of the marital home and lives separately and independently, then you are separated.

However, where there are more complex factors involved, such as children, it is advisable to talk to a specialist family lawyer about your separation rights and formalising your separation agreement.

Betteridges can advise you on the two ways you can do this:

  • By entering into a Deed of Separation – essentially a legal document that records the arrangements you have agreed upon;
  • By obtaining a Judicial Separation – similar to divorce but which leaves you legally married.

Separation and Children

Whether you are going through divorce or separation, Betteridges can provide clear advice on the options when it comes to the welfare of your children. Depending on your circumstances, we can arrange for you and your spouse / partner to visit a mediator to work together and help your family through this difficult time.

Please call us on 0333 12 12345 (International callers +44 1992 505 406), complete our Online Enquiry Form or email to arrange an initial enquiry  with one of our specialist family lawyers.