What is a deed of separation? Do I need one?

A “deed of separation”, a “separation deed” or a “separation agreement” are all terms used to describe a formal document setting out agreed arrangements between married couples or civil partners who are separating but who are not yet proceeding with divorce or formal dissolution.

It is important to understand that this type of document does not comprehensively determine the financial claims that can be made, as this can only happen upon divorce or civil partnership dissolution, but is sometimes a helpful tool.

To give a separation deed the best chance of being effective it should be entered into upon both parties having exchanged full and frank disclosure in respect of their finances and having received independent legal advice.

Customer Satisfaction

“Betteridges online services were most beneficial to me and allowed me to complete my divorce without having to take the time off work which also reduced my cost as I live outside of the UK.”