My partner and I are not married but we live together, what is a cohabitation agreement and do I need one?

A cohabitation agreement will set out arrangements between the partners who are living together as to how they will manage their financial affairs and what will happen should they separate. It can also include agreements in respect of children.

If you own property with your partner or are planning to buy a property it is highly desirable to have a clear agreement as to how that property will be owned. If you put the legal title of the property in joint names then on the face of it you are simply entitled to an equal share. However, this may not actually reflect the money that each partner put in to purchase the property or the payments made on the mortgage during the relationship.

Often parents help their children out with monies for deposits on homes. If the relationship ends then this can be a difficult and sensitive issue. It is therefore very sensible to set out clearly what is agreed at the time.

Customer Satisfaction

“I would just like to thank Isabel and Stuart for all their hard work over the last six weeks sorting out the sale of my flat. I have used other solicitors before for this type of transaction and every time I seem to remember me saying “never again” but not this time. I can honestly say the only problems have stemmed from my complete lack of understanding of the process but Betteridges have been brilliant from start to finish and dealt with all these issues quickly, efficiently and with minimal disruption to my life. I will always recommend Betteridges to friends and clients.”

John Lancaster